During our daily morning team meeting, we had a few extra minutes so we spent some time reflecting about what we do as a team of Year 7/8 teachers that we feel are our key strategies.
This is what we came up with:
- Difficult/challenging text when in guided reading session with teacher (deep diving the "Jannie Way")
- Testing more often. At least once a term, especially our priority learners and those we feel have made progress. Not waiting til the end of year so that we are consistently teaching at the right instructional level.
- Having a consistent strand focus-teaching number knowledge through strand
- Explicit school wide/cluster wide overview (2 year maths strand rotation)
- Pitch focus problems/instruction at year level then differentiate by pushing kids up or bringing them out.