Monday 6 March 2023

RPI: What Types of Readers are We?

 As part of the Reading Practice Intensive, we are asked to do homework in between our sessions to apply what we have learnt. The first thing I did with my class was look into what type of readers they are. I was a little hesitant to do this with my group of Year 4 students knowing that many students in my class aren't necessarily learn ready at this point in the school year. However, I took a step back and thought about how I could modify the task to effectively reach Year 4 students who are mostly still learning 1.5-2 years below their year level. 


As you can see on Slide 3, I added coloured boxes over certain words on the slide to see if the students could remember the missing word from each statement instead of the whole line. This was a great way to scaffold this so that it was obtainable by my whole class. 

The students really enjoyed the movie and were quite surprised that after listening to the students in the video, that they feel the same way about reading even though many find it quite challenging. The were able to acknowledge that they can still enjoy reading, and being read to, no matter what reading level they are at and still be a "good reader."

After chatting with my teaching partner, we decided to have our whole learning space take the survey together, which provided with some very valuable information since we have very fluid reading groups. 
It was great to see that nearly every child not only viewed themselves as a good reader but they felt their teacher thought so as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment