Wednesday 27 November 2019

My Reflection on my Inquiry

4. Write a reflection on your own professional learning through this inquiry cycle. (WFRC?)
Image result for reflecting
This inquiry was very informative for me, especially with it being my third year inquiring into changing my reading practice, working at a different year level each year. It was great to see that the changes I had made over the past two years influenced my teaching this year as well and that those interventions works at the Year 7/8 level as well.  

I have really enjoyed focusing on vocabulary acquisition while reading shorter (often more meatier) passages in our small group sessions. I have come to realise that over the past few years such an emphasis was put on our students not being able to inference, but I found myself wondering throughout this year whether or not it is actually the ability to inference or the ability to understand the vocabulary in the question enough to know what it is asking.  I'm not saying an emphasis on inferencing isn't important because I believe that students should know the difference between recognising questions that relay solely on the text and questions that require you to apply your own knowledge. However, I believe that often our kids have had a gap in vocabulary knowledge and in order to fix this their self-efficacy when answering questions was affected.

I am left already thinking about next year and how my Inquiry this year will effect my focus for 2020. I have learnt so much this year about my own teaching and I look forward to thinking about 2020 as I reflect further on my practice from 2019.

Kia Ora.

4 comments:

  1. Kia ora Angela

    I have really enjoyed reading your blog this year and student progress is fantastic. So great to see that many are now reading at or above expectations.

    Hana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hana. I really enjoyed all of the feedback both on my blog and through email that I received from you last year. All the best!

      Delete
  2. Great share Angela, I have really enjoyed reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Racheal. It's always good to know that someone is watching/reading. Hopefully, something helpful or of interest was found.

    ReplyDelete