Thursday, 25 June 2020
The main learning about my teaching that I have made during this round of evaluation (as discussed in my blog post here) is that I am teaching my students how to have an academically based student-led discussion. It took some changing in my own teaching practise over the past few years to implement this change across the curriculum level, but I now know that I provide adequate think and respond time for my students instead of jumping in right away with the correct answer. My students know that they are allowed to have their voice and opinions heard. When it comes to maths, even my struggling students are not afraid to voice their opinions on how to properly solve a problem or identify what they believe the next step in a problem solving process should be.
My next step is to implement new vocabulary recognition strategies such as the Four Square and Feature Analysis approaches (as discussed here). I hope to provide my students with more opportunities to recognise the language of mathematical success. It is my intention to keep a record of mathematical terms students have used during a lesson (by providing opportunities for students to share their thinking in a Screencastify more often).
Tuesday, 23 June 2020
Now that we are back in school under Covid restrictions, I am remaining very aware of the students that I have in my class that have yet to return to school. The majority of these students are still working from home, but without the classroom connection and direct teaching that was available when we were offering Google Meets. As a result, I decided to make another rewindable teaching video showing students how to use a Decimat since it was the first time that many of the students have experienced this learning tool.
Thursday, 18 June 2020
- I like maths. (Rate on a Scale from Not at All to Favourite Subject)
- What I find most difficult about maths is...
- I am confident solving problems involving:
- The one concept I need to improve in most is:
- My maths teacher encourages me to use proper mathematical vocabulary (Rate on a Scale from Not at All to Favourite Subject)
- We have been presented with and asked to use new mathematical vocabulary this year.
- I am comfortable asking my teacher for help when I need it.
- How often has Mrs. Moala asked you to reflect on how well you understood something in your learning?