How can we extend prior knowledge and critical thinking in an effort to promote dialogic conversations in year 4 students who are reading at/above grade level?
Students have not been given the freedom (in earlier years) to explore further on their own into aspects of their text/topic that spark interest.
- Students are not equipped with how to further explore a topic of interest from their text.
- Students need to be taught how to manage their time appropriately in order to complete learning tasks.
- Teachers are not definite on when to shift the focus of learning from decoding to reading for content and formulating deeper understanding from exposure to multimodal texts.
- Teachers are afraid of the time commitment needed in order the plan for extended reading lessons that go deeper for understanding.
- Teachers are unsure where to look for age appropriate reading material.
What would be the best way to compile a cross-cluster database to house texts linked by topic according the reading level?
Evidence of Need:
According to the Wolf Fisher Research Centre, our students learn by talking about what they are learning (dialogic conversations). These conversations are mostly effective when students have a deeper understanding of a topic from being exposed to multimodal texts.
- Student PAT and STAR results-Nov 2016
- Student PAT and STAR results-Feb 2017
- Running Records-Nov 2016
- 2016 Teacher OTJ-Reading
- Reading previous student Blog posts
- In class micro group discussions